Well, it always seems impossible to take your dog along with you on your travel, right? Dog travel has always been a big question mark in itself. Dog travel is still the dream of many travelers.
But after adopting some new guidelines by the travel industry you don’t have to make separate plans for your pet and hire someone to take care of.
According to the 2017-2018 survey – 67% of the US households adopt pets at their home and nearly 4 million dogs travel onboard every year.
Ya, there are some rules and guidelines which you need to follow while traveling across the borders. There are certain rules for rail, air, and ships, whatever mode of travel you choose you just have to be extra attentive and triple check with every condition and guidelines
Let’s discuss it below!
Must have dog-friendly apps in your phone
If you are traveling with your dog for the very first time then you need to have dog-friendly apps on your phone. These apps help you in finding the perfect hotels, restaurants, and dog trails nearby. Some of the apps are:
- Bring Fido – It helps you to locate nearby hotels and restaurants for your dog as you know all the hotels and restaurants are not dog-friendly so you need to be extra attentive whenever you start exploring something with your dog.
- All Trails – It helps you in the collection of all the trail maps which have been specially made for dogs like you see there is the special trail for handicapped people, for bicycle riders likewise in some areas you will see trail map for dogs also. This app covers trail maps over 50,000 browse photos and videos of nearby.
Skip paying for pets in hotels
When you go out and searching for accommodation then you’ll see there are certain prices for a pet per night. Always re-check with the hotel in advance to whom you are going to book your accommodation.
According to Indian railways, carrying dogs in first-class apartments will cost you Rs 10 per dog.
So start looking for the properties which are pet-friendly and welcoming for pets without any extra cost. Some of the properties in India are Vivanta by Taj in Kerala and Camp Della Resort in Lonavala.
Use pet carrier
Always use a pet carrier because if your dog is untrained then it’ll be difficult for you to look upon him. Taking your pet in an appropriate carrier will lower the risk for the owner and for the people nearby. The view and the journey will be more enjoyable for your pet while sitting behind your comfy back.
Take pet-related documents with you
Don’t forget to take pet-related documents with you. Documents are necessary to prove that dog is properly vaccinated and completely healthy, If any official stops you and ask anything then you can come up with all your homework done in advance.
Double-check with your airlines for pets
Some of the airlines in India and outside don’t allow pets to travel onboard. Always make sure you double-check before booking your tickets.
There are certain guidelines that you need to maintain while taking your pet with you. In India Indigo & Air Asia don’t allow passengers to carry pets with them and the other carriers which allow will accept only:
- If the weight of the pet including container/kennel should not exceed 5Kgs.
- Larger size pets should be carried in ‘cargo hold’
- Pets should be carried in a proper carrier or container according to your pet shape and size.
Always befriend with other dogs
The owner of the pet should be friendly with other dogs and their owners as it shows a matter of respect and courtesy to others. If you’ll be harsh or rude with other dogs then your pet will also catch the same attitude from you
- Go to the pet store – Make a habit to visit pet stores whenever you get time so that you can see and meet other pet owners and exchange ideas related to handling and maintaining pets.
- Visit a dog park – Dog parks are a great place to make your dog exercise and socialize. If you don’t find any park for dogs then ask any dog owners nearby you. Major cities always have dog-friendly parks.
- Instagram – As you know it’s a world of hashtags so have little practice of finding dogs profiles and owners by using hashtags like ‘dogs of … ‘. If you have a special breed then you can have an idea with the help of Instagram hashtags.
Pack the dog essentials
Don’t forget to pack the dog food, medications, water, collapsible bed, etc. Whenever you feel your dog needs something you should be ready with the essentials. Most people refuse to help as they find unhygienic so make this a foremost responsibility. Once you start traveling with your dog then it will be common for you to pack the essentials for both.
Teach your dog some good manners
Before you take your pet out make sure to teach some good gestures like how to sit and how to behave in front of others. Teaching your pet a thing or two will definitely increase the chances of expecting a ‘Yes’ in return when someone sees your dog is well-behaved Working on obedience and manners in front of someone and make sure your pup always puts their best paw forward.
These are some of the most essential points you should keep in your mind before taking your pet for travel. Traveling with dogs are more colorful and pleasant. Dogs help you to meet more people, cover unexpected destinations, and live in cherish the present. There’s always a different feeling when experiencing a new destination with your dog.
For detailed info visit about dog travel here